Chili Cornbread Skillet
Recipe by: The Balanced Company
It’s chili season! Take your chili to the next level by turning it into a Chili Cornbread Skillet – sure to please the entire family. Bonus – it feeds a crowd!
Ingredients – Chili
2lbs extra lean ground beef (or ground chicken/turkey)
2 medium onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp coriander
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
½ - 1 tsp chili powder, or to taste
½ - 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
1 685mL jar of Organico Bello Tomato Basil Organic Pasta Sauce
1 796mL/28oz can of diced tomatoes
150g of mushrooms, sliced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 540mL/ 19 fl oz can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup corn kernels, frozen or canned (drained and rinsed if canned)
Sea salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients – Cornbread
1 ¼ cups buttermilk (or milk)
½ cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
½ cup unsalted butter, melted OR avocado oil
1 pouch Cup4Cup Cornbread Mix
1 cup old cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
Diced jalapenos (optional)
Green onions, chopped
Jalapeno slices, fresh or pickled
Directions – Chili
- In a large pot, brown the ground beef over medium heat, breaking it up into smaller pieces. Drain excess fat.
- Add the chopped onion, and sauté until translucent for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the minced garlic, cumin, oregano, coriander, paprika, salt, pepper, chili powder and crushed red pepper flakes, and sauté for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the jar of Organico Bello Tomato Basil Organic Pasta Sauce, the diced tomatoes and the sliced mushrooms, and stir.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste, and adjust seasoning, if needed.
- Add the diced bell pepper, kidney beans and corn, stir and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat while you prepare the cornbread.
Directions – Cornbread
- Preheat the oven to 375°
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk, and brown sugar until well combined.
- Whisk in the melted butter, then add the Cup4Cup Cornbread Mix and mix until smooth.
- Fold in the cheese and diced jalapenos (if using).
- To a large and deep 12” oven safe skillet, carefully add cooked chili until the pan is halfway full. Note: extra chili can be frozen for an easy dinner another night 😊
- Slowly pour the cornbread batter on top.
- Spread and smooth it around until the chili is completely covered.
- Place the skillet onto a rimmed oven safe tray and bake in the preheated oven for approximately 25-30 minutes, until the cornbread is lightly browned, and a toothpick inserted in the cornbread comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Scoop onto a plate, and finish with your favourite combination of sour cream, green onions, and jalapeno slices.
To your Balanced health,
Your friends at The Balanced Company