Recipe by: The Balanced Company
Bored of scrambled eggs and toast? Running out of brunch ideas? Try our recipe for shakshuka! It’s full of flavour and is a great meal any time of day.
Serves – 2-4
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small or medium yellow onion, diced*
1 bell pepper, diced
4 cloves minced garlic*
2 tbsp tomato paste
½ tsp cayenne
1 ½ tsp cumin
½ tsp garlic powder
1 ½ tsp paprika
1 tsp turmeric
1 jar of Fody Marinara Sauce
Salt and black pepper to taste
Fresh chopped parsley to finish
- Sauté the onion in olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in the bell pepper and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add tomato paste and all spices and cook until fragrant.
- Add the jar of Fody Marinara Sauce and stir well. Bring to a simmer stirring often, and continue cooking for 7 to 10 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Make indents for 4 or 5 eggs (depending on the size of your pan) and crack in.
- Cover and let the eggs poach until desired doneness.
- Finish with chopped parsley.
* Onion and garlic are optional. If following the FODMAP diet, do not use them.
** To make this dish vegan, omit the eggs and instead stir in one 540 mL/19 fl oz can of chickpeas (or any bean), drained and rinsed.
To your Balanced heath,
Your friends at The Balanced Company